Monday, January 02, 2012

Simple Squash Chowder

I was lazy today, too lazy to do much cooking, but that didn't keep me from getting very hungry at lunchtime!  I had a few zucchini and yellow summer squash that really needed to be used, so I made a quick and simple chowder.


3 large zucchini
3 med yellow summer squash
6 cups water
2 - 3 tsp veggie bouillion granules
pinch or two of black pepper and cayenne
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt (I used Adobo seasoning)
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
1 cup milk, cream or nondairy milk (I used almond milk)

Cut the squash in quarters length-wise, then chop into think slices.  Put in soup pot.  Add water and all other ingredients except milk.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for half an hour, until the squash is very soft.  Remove from heat and taste for salt.  Using a large spoon, mash some of the squash against the side of the pot, then stir in milk.

Serve with a salad and crusty bread.  2 points+ when made with almond milk per 3 cups.

No comments: