Sunday, March 18, 2007

Lunch in a Pocket


Dear daughter is out and I'm alone in the house - something that seldom happens. I ought to be painting on an icon commission, but I really felt like cooking something I've never cooked before. I decided to cook something that dear daughter could take for lunch and eat cold. I thought maybe lenten piroshki, but then I thought, why not make it Indian style? So, I made a yeasted vegan dough from "Simply Heavenly" by Abbot George Burke and filled the little pies with two different fillings: curried cannelini beans and roasted corn.


The roasted corn is an interesting story. There is a new secretary at work, and she is a foodie like me. On Friday, we ate lunch together and she was talking about how delicious roasted corn on the cob is from her hometown. They dip the corn in melted butter, then roast it, then slather it with hot sauce and chili powder, then roll it in mayonnaise, then dust it with parmesan. I was intrigued... I mean, what's not to like about THAT? So, I figured out my own version, using frozen corn and it was very, very tasty!


This was also the first time that I used my handy-dandy set of three piroshki makers that I've had for years. It was fun! I think I'll do this again and again and again......


Dough

2 Tbs yeast

1 C warm water

1 tsp honey

3 Tbs canola oil

3 1/4 C unbleached white flour

1 1/2 tsp salt


Put ingredients in the bread machine on the dough cycle. Or, put in a mixer with a dough hook and mix for about 10 - 15 minutes until it is smooth, elastic and has formed a nice, soft ball. Let it rest for about 10 minutes. Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 4 inch squares. Place about 1/4 C of filling in the center, moisten all four edges, then fold over into a triangle, crimping the edges. Poke holes in the top of each pie with a fork and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 400F and brush tops of pies with oil. I used my olive oil spray mister. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until golden brown.


Curried Bean Filling
1/2 C minced onion
1 heaping tsp minced garlic
2 tsp olive oil
1 10 oz can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with jalapenos in tomato juice
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp salt


Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until just beginning to brown. Add the curry powder and saute for a minute. Add the tomatoes with their juice and the beans. Simmer for about 10 minutes to let the flavors develop. Taste for salt - I added 1 tsp of salt. Stir in the garam masala and let simmer for about 5 more minutes. Make sure that its not too juicy; if it is, turn up the heat and boil some of the tomato juice off. Let cool to room temperature.


Pan Roasted Corn
1 lb frozen corn
2 Tbs butter
1 tsp chili powder
1 Tbs lime juice
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning
1/4 C veganaise (real mayo would be sublime!)
Parmesan (optional)


Melt the butter in a fry pan and saute the corn till hot and cooked through. Sprinkle the chili powder and liquid smoke over and continue sauteeing. Sprinkle the lime juice and Adobo seasoning. Taste for salt and heat. Take off heat and stir in the mayonnaise. Taste for salt and hotness again. I added a little more Adobo seasoning and a squirt of Sriracha sauce. Yummy! I think I'll make this again as a side dish. I bet its fantastic with the parmesan!

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I have been craving something like this - thanks!