Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Chicken and Portabello Cannelloni

 I didn't have a recipe, but it was so delicious that I'm writing it down. Yesterday, I made Cock A Leekie soup and the two cooked breasts were left over. In my fridge, I had 4 large portabellos, some heavy cream, parmesan, and an unopened package of egg roll wrappers. In the pantry was a quart of Bertolli Marinara gathering dust, and the idea was born. It was yummy, but in retrospect, it would have been better with a classic bechamel. O was too lazy for that. I used my Vitamix which made short work of mincing.





2 large, cooked chicken breasts, ground or finely minced

2 large portabello mushrooms, ground or finely minced

1  tsp chicken bouillion powder

1 tsp each of salt, garlic powder, poultry seasoning

1/2 tsp pepper

Mix together well with your hands, adding enough heavy cream to make a moist paste.

Preheat the oven to 375F

Put about a cup of sauce into a 9x13 pyrex baking pan, and roll the stuffing into the rectangular pasta pieces. You don't have to wet them to keep them rolled, just place them seam side down. When all is used up and the pan is full, pour the rest of the sauce on top and drizzle the cream liberally over the top. I could have used more cream. 

Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle about a half cup parmesan over the top and bake for up to 10 more minutes, till the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Let stand for a few minutes, then serve with broccoli, green beans, or salad on the side.


No comments: