Thursday, January 04, 2024

Lebanese Chicken and Rice

 My mother-in-law was the best cook in her family, and trust me, that is saying something. I absolutely loved eating at her table, and she appreciated my obviou pleasure. Though she and I sometimes butted heads, she always cooked my favorites for me when we visited. Food was what we had in common, other than her youngest son, and it was the way she showed love in a somewhat contentious relationship. 

However, my mother-in-law absolutely refused to share recipes, or allow me (or her other 3 daughters-in-law) to watch her cook. So, her personal recipes are lost forever. I never understood that reluctance to teach us. 

When we moved across the country to California, we met many Syrian, Lebanese, Jordanians, and Palestinians at church. There were many pot lucks, and my husband and I soon found that two women cooked like his mother, Marge Hanna and Mary Salah. Both of these kind women took pity on this new bride and taught me everything I needed to know about cooking the meals my husband longed for. I thank God for the older women I met there at Church of the Redeemer, who taught me so much, some of it about cooking. I try to pay it forward in their honor. 

Rice is a staple for lebanese people, and it usually takes the form of broken vermicelli and long grained white rice sautéed till golden in butter and olive oil, then simmered till done. There are many versions; some with nuts, some with meat or chicken, some simmered in rich broth, and some in water. 

I used to always make the fanciest version for Pascha with minced lamb, onions, shallots, Arabic spices (see a prior post about my special mix), pistachios, almonds and pine nuts, called snoobah in Arabic. I will post that recipe soon.

This is a simple, every day version, ready in half an hour, made from ingredients readily available in most people's kitchen.

This will serve 3 or 4, with a salad or lubieh (recipe also on this blog) on the side.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup broken vermicelli, orzo, or other very small pasta

1 cup basmati rice

1/4 cup butter

2 Tbs EVOO

1 medium onion, minced

2 cups water or broth

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp allspice (or more, up to 1 tsp)

1 tsp salt

Pinch pepper

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chunked (will be shredded later)

1/2 cup pistachios, almonds or pine nuts sauteed till golden in butter (optional)


METHOD:

In a heavy bottomed 3 qt pot with a tight-fitting lid, melt butter with EVOO over medium low. Sauté the pasta till golden, add rice and continue sautéing till golden, stirring constantly and watching carefully so nothing burns. Add the onions and allspice, stirring constantly till translucent. Pour in the water. Add bay leaf, salt and pepper, stir well and taste for salt. Stir in the chicken, bring to a boil, reduce to low, and cook for 20 minutes. 

When done, let it rest, covered, for a few minutes, then fluff with a fork, shredding the chicken as you go. If you are using browned nuts, and I highly suggest you do, stir them in with their butter, while fluffing and shredding.

Sahtein!

No comments: