Friday, December 21, 2007

Orange Cranberry Drop Cookies


Today was a flex day for me, so I got home about 2:00 pm. I had planned to start right away on my pizzelles, but it was such a damp day, that I decided to forego them altogether this year. Sniffle.... Anyway, it just isn't Christmas without some cookies, so I proceeded on to Plan B, or should I say, Plan C for Cranberries, Cummaquid and Cape Cod! I was looking at cookie recipes this week, and saw one from the Acworth Inn Bed and Breakfast in Cummaquid, Cape Cod which looked yummy, so that's what I made instead of pizzelles. Of course, I couldn't help but tweak it a little.....


Orange Cranberry Drop Cookies

1 C butter, softened
1 C white sugar

1/2 C brown sugar, packed well
1 egg
grated zest from one orange
2 Tbs freshly squeezed orange juice
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C green pumpkin seeds or chopped pistachios
2 C chopped cranberries (not the dried ones - use the raw ones)


Cream the butter and sugars together till light and fluffy, then beat in the egg, zest and OJ. In another bowl, stir the flour, soda and salt together well, then add to the butter, a half cup at a time, beating until incorporated fully. Stir in the cranberries and the pumpkin seeds. Use a 1" cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto ungreased cookie sheets, spaced at least 2" apart. Bake at 375F for 14 minutes until the edges turn golden. Remove from the cookie sheets and cook on wire racks. Makes around 4 1/2 dozen.


These could have an orange flavored drizzle on top, but I like them without it - they're so pretty!


So far, The Ex and DD have eaten about half of them. Well, I ate a few too.... These are some of the best cookies I've ever made that weren't chocolate! And they just look like Christmas! I'll be making these for many Christmases to come, I'm sure.

No comments: