Monday, September 24, 2007

Yes, I've been eating!

Its been so long since I posted, it looks like I haven't been eating, doesn't it? Rest assured, though, I have, indeed, been eating. In fact, I gained 4 lbs this month. Obviously, I've eaten way too much popcorn....

September has been insane, so I've been cooking very simply. First, dear daughter decided that she was a vegetarian, then I was sick for a few weeks (still coughing some), then there were the four icon commissions due this month (more on that later), but what really put the kibosh on cooking was that dear daughter went back to work and our schedules haven't intersected much. Hopefully, that will change soon once her work schedule settles down a bit. I've found that when its just me for dinner, I don't want to cook at all, so I've been eating a lot of popcorn. Lots of popcorn. This is not a problem for me, other than the weight gain, because I do dearly love popcorn, especially with Cavender's Greek Seasoning on it. Yum! As far as the weight gain goes, well, I'm so fat now that I don't think 4 lbs one way or the other is going to make one iota of difference.

Some of the quick meals I've made have been cream soups in the Vitamix. Its simple: lightly steam some veggies, put them in the vitamix with some seasoning or cheese and some milk, and whiz until it starts steaming. Yum! So far, I've made broccoli & cheese, broccoli without cheese, cauliflower and cheese, cauliflower without cheese, roasted cauliflower, gingered carrot, cream of corn with peppers, baked potato soup, and vichyssoise. I usually make enough for 5 or 6 good-sized mugs, and we both suck 'em down while relaxing for a few minutes.

About the icons, well, two icons are only partially completed, because at the last minute, the wedding they were for was postponed indefinitely. I'll put them aside and go back to them when the wedding is back on, or when I have time. I have a couple of icons that are in progress, so they shouldn't feel lonely! I have to finish one I'm doing in egg tempera, and then.... I'm free to do whatever icon I want! Wow! I think I'm going to do a couple of gift icons for people I particularly love, especially dear daughter's Baba.

Its been hectic, to say the least, and this week, the only night that the fruit of my loins and I will have dinner together is Wednesday. I plan on making fried green tomatoes, succotash and rice. Sounds yummy, doesn't it? If there are any tomatoes left over, I'll tuck them in a pita bread for lunch. I hope to take a photo and post a recipe on Wednesday.

Till then, Ciao Bella!

No comments: