Friday, January 26, 2007

Low Country Shrimp and Cheese Grits



A few months ago, I was watching Food TV (aka cartoons for grown ups) and watched Paula Deen drool over her version of shrimp and cheese grits. She made it seem so delicious that I knew I'd have to try it. Last night, I took a half pound of shrimp out of the freezer for tonights supper but hadn't decided how to cook it. As I was driving home from work, I was thinking maybe I'd make scampi, and in fact, thats what I told my cousin Ethel as we talked while I was driving. But then when I got home, it came to me: shrimp and cheese grits!
I knew I had some instant grits in the pantry and some sharp cheddar in the fridge. I didn't think I'd need more than that. So, I cooked the grits according to the package, but I used veggie broth instead of water (I used Vogue Veggie Base to make the broth) and no salt.
While I was waiting for the grits to cook, I finely chopped half an onion and sauteed it in 2 Tbs butter and 2 Tbs olive oil. Then I added about 3 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp of Bell's seafood seasoning, 1 tsp dried parsley, and the shrimp. When the shrimp turned pink, I tasted for salt - it needed just a pinch more - and drizzled about 1 Tbs of lemon juice over all. By then, the grits had thickened nicely, and I added 2 oz sharp cheddar per serving, using a whisk to stir well.
It took just a minute or so for the cheese to melt and then it was time to eat. I spooned out the grits into two bowls and topped with the shrimp and butter sauce. Dear daughter loved it, but that was because I told her it was polenta. Which it actually was. But she has not had happy experiences with southern style grits, so I told her it was cheese polenta and she was happy. I waited until she was half way through before I told her the truth! LOL! Mothers have to be devious sometimes!
This was surprisingly quick (15 minutes total), easy, tasy and FILLING. Oh yes, it is definitely filling. I don't think we'll need a snack later in the evening at ALL.
If you don't have grits, you can definitely use polenta, and once the little box of grits is used up, I won't replace it. I prefer the stronger corn flavor of polenta.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Polenta. Grits. Cornmeal mush. Corn cereal. See, there are lots of different names for the same thing, which I have also taken advantage of in order to keep getting my kids to try it, until they (one of them, anyway) liked it!

Mimi said...

Just checking in to see if you are doing ok - is there anything I can do for you?

Mimi said...

Any word? How are you doing. Hugs.

Laura said...

This looks delicious O_O mustt make.