Sunday, December 03, 2006

Slow Cooker Stuffed Acorn Squash

I bought a large squash this week, intending to glaze it with maple syrup and bake it in the oven this weekend, but I'm sick and I don't feel up to cooking a whole meal today. I even stayed home from church, which very seldom happens. Anyway, I figured if I could find some crockpot recipe, then I wouldn't have to watch it much and would have a new work-day recipe for my files. So, I looked all over internet trying to find stuffed squash recipes cooked in the crockpot. I found a few that sounded interesting, but they just weren't "right", you know? I did figure out the timing and heat level, though. Here is what I came up with - its in the crock pot cooking away right now. I'll let you know how it comes out!

Pepita Stuffed Acorn Squash in the Crockpot

1 large acorn squash, halved, seeded and lightly brushed with olive oil on the inside
1/2 C long grain white rice, raw
1/4 C pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds - not salted)
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 heaping Tbs minced onion
1 heaping Tbs salsa
Scant 1/2 tsp Adobo Seasoning (which is mostly salt - you can substitute salt)
1/2 tsp Italian mixed herbs
1 C vegetable broth (I use Vogue veggie base powder mixed with water)

Cut the squash in half and scoop out seeds. Brush the insides with olive oil (I have a non-aerosol pump bottle that is filled with olive oil, so I sprayed it). Place the halves in a slow cooker, slicing off the bottoms to level, or you can use some wadded up aluminum foil to prop them in a level position. In a small bowl, combine the rice, seeds, garlic, onion, salsa, salt/Adobo and herbs. Spoon the stuffing into the squash halves - don't compact it down or the rice won't have room to expand. Pour the broth into the halves - if it doesn't all fit, then reserve the broth to pour in about halfway through cooking. Lastly, pour about a cup of water into the bottom of the crock pot. Cover, and cook on med/low for about 6 hours, or on high for 3 - 4 hours.

Serve sprinkled with cheese if you like, or with a dollop of guacamole or sour cream on top. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. I think I'm going to serve this with some refried black beans on the side.

Imagine the different flavored stuffings you come up with! I'm already thinking about making this Arabic style to use a cup or so of leftover lenten grape leaf stuffing (my personal favorite - I love the lenten stuffing so much more than the tradition meat and rice).

This could easily be baked in the oven, if you have a big family. But for just dd and me, the crockpot will provide us with two servings very nicely.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Oooh, let me know how it goes, it sounds lovely!