Friday, November 17, 2006

Tortilla Espagnola


I need to go food shopping really, really bad. I've been trying to refrain due to budgetary constraints and because we began a fasting period on Wednesday. I've used up a lot of stuff that had been in my freezer and my fridge, including the ham bone from our Pascha ham (yummy French-Canadian split pea soup - my Memiere would be very, very proud!). But tonight when I got home from work..... there wasn't a whole lot to cook. I did have some eggs still, as well as the end of some colby/cheddar marbled cheese, and I figured an omelette would be good. Quick, easy and tasty. Somehow, though, a cheese omelette didn't seem to be hearty enough, especially since dear daughter was STARVING. So, in the pantry were a few potatoes and onions, and I decided on a Spanish omelette, aka Tortilla Espagnola. When it came out of the oven, it was spectacular! But we were too hungry to remember to take a photo and dove right into it. Sorry folks! I have to make do with a photo of the bits that were left.

Tortilla Espagnola

1 good sized potato, diced
1 good sized onion, diced
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
6 eggs, beaten

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a 10" fry pan which can go into the oven, saute the onions and potatoes in the olive oil over medium high heat until al dente and beginning to color, about 7 - 10 minutes. Salt and pepper heavily to taste. Stir well and smooth out so that the potatoes and onions are evenly distributed in the pan. Pour the beaten eggs over, tilt to make sure that the eggs cover the entire bottom of the pan. Put the pan in the preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness.

I put about 3 oz of colby/cheddar, sliced thin, all over the top of the eggs right before I put the pan in the oven. When pan came out of the oven, the eggs were slightly puffed and golden. I flipped the pan over and the bottom was a little crusty and browned. Yummy!

We ate this with a little salsa and guacamole spread on top and salad on the side. Spaniards sometimes eat this on top of crusty bread, sort of like a sandwich, but all we have is bread machine bread, so we did without the bread.

This is now dear daughters favorite omelette. Serves four normal people, or just dear daughter and me!

No comments: