Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mixed Greens with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette


I didn't feel much like cooking tonight, and we weren't overly hungry, so I settled on a salad of mixed greens (including a ton of very peppery arugula), one bunch of scallions, one shredded carrot, one diced avocado, a spoon or two of toasted sunflower seeds and a rinsed and drained can of chickpeas.

Once I knew what would be in the salad, I began to think about the dressing. I looked on the fridge door - you know, the place where old salad dressing bottles go to die - and I found that my two bottles of salad dressing were truly dead. Yes, like the Wicked Witch, they are not very nearly dead, they are truly and sincerely dead. So, I figured I'd just make my own. I knew I'd use olive oil and balsamic, and then my eye fell on the half gallon of real maple syrup. Hm..... that sounded like an interesting combo, so....

Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/4 C real maple syrup
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
1/4 C extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
1 Tbs grainy mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Whisk together and pour on your salad. Easy as can be and really delicious.

Five stars from dear daughter - I'll be making this often.

Time to make my own salad dressing: 3 minutes - its so easy and quick and delicious that I wonder why there are two dead bottles of salad dressing in my fridge....

1 comment:

Mimi said...

That looks quite good.