Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ann King's Surprise


Tonight we ate the leftover crab cakes and roasted veggies. I have a several heads of cauliflower which I got on sale, and decided to mash one like my office mate, Ann King, does. She's often talked about how yummy this is, and how much her husband likes it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Here is what I did: I cut the leaves off the head, then cut the head into florets. Put them in a 3 qt pan with about 3/4 cup of water, covered the pan and let them steam until they were very well cooked and soft. Then I put the cauliflower into the food processor with about 1/3 C nondairy creamer, half a stick of nondairy butter, about 1 tsp of seasoned salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp Greek seasoning. Man, was it delicious! It could have used a little bit more salt, IMHO, so I added a quick sprinkle to my plate. So smooth and white and creamy and comforting. Maybe you've been pureeing your cauliflower for a long time, but it was a first for me.

There is a lot of this left over.... I'm thinking that it might be good with a little nutritional yeast stirred in for a cheesy taste. I could think it out and make it the basis of soup -- maybe add some boiled onions for a vichysoisse effect.... or maybe add some mushrooms, corn and dill -- that would make a tasty soup. Maybe I should add a roux and thicken this up, and then add some corn or something and make little patties. Or I could curry it and make it bright orange, and then serve it like grits with a fried egg on top..... I'm thinking about what to do with the left overs. Readers, if you have any good ideas, please post a comment!

Time from raw to plate: about 20 minutes

Serves 8 or so as a side dish

Four stars!

For a nice snack/dessert later on, perhaps I'll poach a couple of pears in wine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you poach pears in wine? Sounds delicious!