Friday, March 31, 2006

Clean out the Fridge Soup Redux


Once again I looked in the fridge and saw too many leftovers, just little dribs of this and that. Yes, it is time to make soup! Yesterday I put all the vegetable trimmings that I've been saving in the freezer in the crock pot, about a quart's worth, covered them with water, added some garlic, basil, red pepper flakes and salt, and let 'er rip all day on low. The house smelled heavenly and the resulting stock was very tasty. The trimmings included parsley stems, lots of carrot peelings, potato peelings, onion ends and skins, bits of celery, ends of green beans, and some cilantro stems.

I used about 3 cups of the vegetable broth, about a half cup of some jarred spaghetti sauce and about a cup of the lentil-broccoli salad from a few days ago. Those all went into the pot, as well as a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (I cannot wait for decent tomatoes to be available in the supermarket!), and about four minced garlic cloves. It didn't seem to have enough "heft" so I looked in that box of canned goods I found last week and pulled out a can of Veg-All and put that in. I didn't even know that they still made that stuff! It tasted ok, but it needed something else, so I added some Soul Seasoning (a brand of seasoned salt), some basil, a few pinches of red pepper flakes and a splash of white wine. Yummy. Then I added in about a cup of small elbows and let them cook.

While the soup was cooking, I split two football shaped multigrain rolls, spread them with margerine, sprinkled garlic powder, basil, and a bit of Soul Seasoning, and then toasted them in the toaster oven. The garlic toast was done at the same time as the soup. I had about a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil left in the bottle, so I drizzled it on the bread.

What a yummy meal! We have nothing for dessert, unfortunately, but I guess we don't really NEED it..... Maybe I'll make some more chocolate tofu pudding later on tonight.

Please leave a comment - I'd love to know what your results are when you try clean out the fridge soup.

No comments: